Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cinnamon Coconut Granola

This is the perfect crunchy snack for the afternoon or the perfect topping on your breakfast yogurt & berries.  You cannot go wrong with this recipe.  I love it so much!  If you're like me, I don't like to eat yogurt very much unless it has granola on it.  There's something about the texture of yogurt that gets me, so I always have to have something crunchy with it.  My good friend Amber, from my gourmet club in California, sent me this wonderful recipe and I just modified it a little to be a little healthier.  It's absolutely divine!  Thanks Amber!


Cinnamon Coconut Granola

1/2 c. Coconut oil
1/2 c. Maple syrup
1/4 c. Honey
1/3 c. Flour
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Almond extract
1 tsp. Cinnamon
2 c. Rice Krispie cereal
2 c. Rolled oats
1 cup Shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup Craisins
1/2 cup Sliced or slivered almonds
1/2 c. flax seeds or flax meal
1/2 c. wheat germ (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
Heat oven to 325 degrees.
Put first four ingredients in pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.  When all the ingredients are melted together, remove from heat and add the vanilla, almond, & cinnamon.  In a large mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.  Pour hot mixture over dry mix in bowl and stir until well mixed.
Transfer the mixture onto a baking pan with parchment paper on it. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. You may have to use a spatula to mix it around if it’s getting too brown on top.  Allow the granola to cool for 1 hour in the pan.  Break into desired pieces if clumped together, then place in an air tight container.  Keep in fridge for longer freshness.

This is my favorite yogurt in the whole wide world!!  It's a honey flavored greek yogurt. (see the little honey symbol on the bottom left corner?  Make sure it has that symbol) You have to try it.  You'll never want another flavor again :)  Well, at least I never want any other flavors!  It's not the healthiest in the world and it does have high fat content, but I only eat about 1/2 c. at a time. A healthier option would be to buy the plain yogurt and drizzle a little honey over the top if needed.  I usually top with fresh fruit as well.  Delicious :)




2 comments:

  1. Hi Suzy! I have been looking for your blog forever and finally found it! Great stuff here. Love all of the healthy recipe's. My s.i.l. (Chris Wallace) made the BEST avocado dip with quinoa and sprouted beans and she said she got the recipe here so I came a'searchin for it! Anyway- I was looking at your granola/yogurt post and I had a few comments. First- that truly is the most delicious yogurt in the world, but I was appalled when I discovered how fattening it is, and then I read the label and discovered why. IT is made with whole cream. wow! Anyway- I found that the "honey vanilla" flavor they sell is just as delicious and has about 1/2 the fat & calories (don't be fooled-check the serving sizes!) Its the only other flavor I've ever found that is as good as the original. Also- on the granola, a good way to add extra nutrition is to add 1/4 cup of wheat germ and ground flax seed to the recipe. I use both of those in my recipe and you can't taste them at all. Anyway- hope those tips are helpful. Love your blog. Keep it up!

    Sincerely,

    Mandy Wallace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy,
      Thank you for your comments. I am so glad you said something because when I typed up the recipe from this last batch, I was just changing ingredients from the unhealthy to the healthier and I forgot that last time I added flax seeds and totally forgot to add them to the recipe, so thank you for the reminder! I did change it and also put the wheat germ in as optional as well. You're right about the yogurt, but it's so darn good, how can you resist? ha ha I do only use about 1/2 c. though, so I figure it's all good! Thanks again for visiting my blog! Hope to see you soon.

      Delete