Monday, March 7, 2011

Blueberry Bran Muffins

These are a nutritious and delicious breakfast or after school snack.  They are definitely best right out of the oven.  If your family is just starting to use wheat flour, maybe you should try using white flour at first and then gradually increase to all wheat flour. 



Blueberry Bran Muffins

1 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. coconut oil (or butter, less healthy option)
2 eggs
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
1/4-1/2 c. water (depending on how dry it is)
1 c. wheat bran, unprocessed
2 c. flour (I use wheat, but you can do half white and half wheat)
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. flax seed meal (optional)
1 to 1 1/2 c. blueberries  (if you don't have fresh, rehydrate some freeze dried ones)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a seperate bowl, let bran and buttermilk soak together.  Cream sugar and coconut (or butter) together in mixer for a couple minutes.  Add eggs and mix well.  Add bran mixture, then the rest of the ingredients.  If dough is too thick, add some more water.  Then mix in blueberries.  


Scoop batter into muffin tins.  I like to use a cookie scoop and put a heaping scoop in each cup.  It should make 18-24 muffins.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through in the middle. 
Let cool on cooling rack for a couple of minutes, then serve.  They are delicious right out of the oven without anything on them or drizzle with a little honey :)
Bon Appetit

3 comments:

  1. I'm following you girl. I love it. keep it coming. Will you take me to a grain store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're following! I hope I share something that will benefit you and your cute kids :) You bet I will take you to a grain store. It's like heading to the candy store when you're a kid. So geeky, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought wheat bran today at the store. One ingredient at a time!

    ReplyDelete